General Tso’s Chickpeas and Veggies this is much healthier and flavorful spin on the classic-deep fried-dish, also it is plant-based and gluten-free! Sauteed veggies, chickpeas as well or chicken stir fried with a General Tso’s sauce. A fast and effortless weekday meal.
It’s fast ready in thirty minutes, simple and beyond delicious. Many think about General Tso’s as a heavy-fried-dish, but if you include the General Tso’s sauce to stir fried chicken or chickpeas or veggies, you receive the exact same delicious taste only healthier.
And it’s so fast and simple! And you may also make the sauce ahead and cut the veggies beforehand to ensure all you need to do it a quick stir fry once ready to consume.
This General Tso’s sauce is adapted from Pinch of Yum and can be delish! It is a bit sweet, somewhat spicy & yummy. It’s created using 9 ingredients also comes together fast, so I advise collecting your components before beginning.
You are going to want sesame-oil, rice-wine-vinegar, ginger, vegetable-broth, gluten-free tamari or soy-sauce, garlic, sugar, plain tomato-paste along with cornstarch.
In this moment we make it with chickpeas + chicken, broccoli, red-pepper and the only other thing you’ll need is your General Tso’s sauce, garlic, scallions and rice!
You can substitute chicken or chickpeas or as we, create with chickpeas + chicken, also you can stir-fry the veggies.
And if you like the “General Tso’s sauce”, then it is possible to make it and change up the veggies based on what you’ve got in the home. Here I make it with sauteed-cauliflower, snow-peas and bok-choy.
Please, if you recreate this General Tso’s Chickpeas and Veggies Recipe, don’t forget to give me star rate or comment below. Thanks!
Try these other Delicious Recipes options:
- Teriyaki Cauliflower Power Bowls
- Black Bean Tofu Scramble Vegan Enchiladas
- Peanut Sauce Sweet Potato Noodles
- Vegan Turmeric Quinoa Power Bowls
- Spinach Salad with Sweet Spicy Nuts Apples Bacon and Feta
- Vegan Cabbage Rolls with Lentils and Brown Rice
General Tso’s Chickpeas and Veggies
General Tso's Sauce (adapted from Pinch of Yum)
- ½ cup vegetable-broth
- ⅓ cup rice-vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp sesame-oil
- ½ cup gluten-free tamari or soy-sauce
- 1 knob of ginger, grated
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch, dissolved in 1-2 tbsp of cold water (for a thinner sauce, use 1 tbsp corn-starch)
- 2 tbsp gluten-free plain tomato-paste
Stir Fry Veggies
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into bite sized florets
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 small red-bell-peppers, cored and sliced
- 2-3 cloves minced garlic
- 2-3 tbsp sesame-oil
- 1 bunch green-onions, thinly sliced, white and green parts divided
- chicken breast, cut into 1-2 inch pieces (Optional)
- toasted sesame-seeds, (Optional for serving)
Prepared brown rice, white rice or quinoa for serving
For the General Tso's Sauce
- In a small-saucepan, heat the sesame-oil over moderate heat. Then add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry for a few minutes or till aromatic.
- Add remaining ingredients & whisk to blend. Simmer about 10-15minutes till sauce is thickened. Put aside.
- Notice: Sauce will thicken as it cools, then thin-up again if heated.
For the Veggie Stir Fry
- In a large skillet over medium-high-heat, add 2-3 tablespoons oil & heat till shimmering but not burning.
- Add white-parts of onions and a few of the green-parts and saute a a few minutes or till just tender.
- Add garlic and saute about 30minutes or till aromatic.
- Add peppers and saute for 3-4minutes before beginning to get tender. Add broccoli and cook another 2-3minutes. Cook more longer for softer vegetables.
- Add a few spoonfuls of General Tso's sauce into the sauteed veggies and stir to blend. Heat for 2-3minutes till warm when the sauce is not overly warm.
- Spoon vegetables to a bowl & put aside.
- Add chickpeas to the same saute-pan & over medium-heat, saute for 2-3minutes to heat.
- Spoon General Tso's Sauce on the chickpeas, stir to blend and let simmer a couple of minutes and serve. The more the chickpeas simmer together with the sauce, the longer they absorb the taste.
- Serve veggies and chickpeas. Garnish with sesame-seeds & extra green-parts of onion if desired.
First the peppers. Then put aside. Subsequently the broccoli, then put aside; afterward the chickpeas.
I included a number of the sauce straight to the chickpeas and then allow them to simmer. Then added the sauce on top of the veggies.